Home News Man Bitten By Snake While Wading In Water, Refuses To Get Medical...

Man Bitten By Snake While Wading In Water, Refuses To Get Medical Help

5232
0
Views: 158

A man was out for a stroll along the river with his girlfriend when they decided to wade in the water. That’s when he felt something bite him on both legs. His girlfriend pleaded with him to go to the hospital, but he had a reason not to go.

Gilbert De Leon, 37, was with his girlfriend Shellie Johns at the Delaware Town Access southwest of Nixa, Missouri, on a Friday afternoon when they decided to cool off in the James River, according to the Springfield News-Leader. Not long into their stroll, De Leon screamed out in pain as he felt himself being bitten by something in the water.

Gilbert De Leon (Photo Credit: Facebook)

Later in the evening, his girlfriend said he seemed more tired than normal. Johns pleaded with De Leon to go to the hospital, but he stubbornly refused, telling her that he couldn’t afford it, ABC30 reported. Instead of getting help as his girlfriend had insisted, De Leon tried to play doctor, cutting open the wound and trying to squeeze out any venom himself.

Gilbert De Leon was bitten on each of his legs while in the water at James River with his girlfriend, Shellie Johns. (Photo Credit: Facebook)

“That evening, he got lethargic but just wouldn’t go to a hospital,” Christian County Coroner Brad Cole said. “They went to bed, and she reported he was snoring more loudly than usual. The next morning when she woke up she found him dead.”

As it turns out, De Leon had been bitten on both legs by a snake, and overnight, he succumbed to its lethal venom. Experts aren’t sure what kind of snake bit the victim, but they think it may have been a cottonmouth, also known as a water moccasin. It is black and can often be mistaken for a harmless water snake. The fang marks were 3/4 of an inch wide, which indicated it was not a large snake that bit De Leon.

Officials suspect the snake that bit Gilbert De Leon was a cottonmouth (pictured) and that it may have been mistaken for a harmless water snake. (Photo Credit: Missouri Department of Conservation)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here